Friday, September 7, 2007

News & Notes Take 1

From the first few days on the road:

In what should be a more thorough commentary of traveling political sales on the road:

I start by thanking Big Sleepy and all the hospitality afforded by Vassar & Poughkeepsie, particularly The Dubliner, which had the greatest karaoke selection I've ever seen. When you're nearing a dozen-plus songs of both Blur and Pulp, you're doing something right. And special shout-out to Ben of Vassar for being the savviest of students to pick up on Bleeding Hearts Club. I hope many more catch on, too. SUNY New Paltz, you don't know what hit you! Peep my flyers, drop the BHC a line.

Sarah Lawrence, I hope you see the connection between the executive branch of our government and the trash receptacles upon which I adorned many flyers. That said, please don't throw my flyers in the trash... at least recycle them!

A staple gun would have served me well at SUNY Purchase, where my thumbs and index fingers are now raw from prying out staples from billboards, only to delicately press them back in with my flyers. I thank the visual arts building for being open 24 hours a day and having many remote workshops. One of which had a tattered pleather couch than I jostled upon for nearly 6 hours of welcome sleep, only to scurry out before the morning janitors may have found me.

Soon I embark upon a homecoming trip to Wesleyan for WesXC's season kickoff alumni race. Rousing shows of old man strength are sure to ensue. And to address Wesleyan as a mystical cultural entity for a moment... please show me that you've got a sense of humor about Warho. Pleeeeaaaaassssse?

The motto of my trip may not be found on the campuses I visit, but it permeates my thinking and what we need to combat. And it comes from a Canadian rock outfit, of all sources:

I was sick of America
And her screaming decay

No comments: